Exhibition Call Out
Information for artists and exhibition applicants
2018 proposals are due on or before 11:59pm, Sunday 22 October
Information for prospective artist applicants interested in exhibiting at Walker Street Gallery & Arts Centre, including:
• selection process
• selection criteria
• details about the facility
• hire fees
• application form.
Independent artists, curators, artist collectives and art educators are welcome to apply.
Walker Street Gallery & Arts Centre
Walker Street Gallery & Arts Centre was established in 1986, and has become an important forum for presenting diverse high quality exhibitions in the south-east region. The gallery is owned and operated by the City of Greater Dandenong and holds up to 11 exhibitions per year and is free for public visitation.
Gallery opening hours:
• Tuesday–Friday: 10am–5pm
• Saturday: 11am–3pm – as agreed
• Closed all public holidays
There are two principal exhibition spaces at Walker Street Gallery & Arts Centre. Gallery One, the premiere gallery space available for hire; and Gallery Two, which places a focus on community exhibitions.
Exhibitions typically open on a Thursday night. Set up of the exhibition usually commences on a Monday mid-morning with pack up of the exhibition commencing after 3pm on the final Saturday of the exhibition or on the following Monday morning.
All interested parties are encouraged to view the spaces before submitting their application.
Specifications for Gallery One:
• 50 linear metres of hanging space and 112 square metres of floor space
• equipped with a wire based hanging system
• track lighting system with both flood and spot luminaries
• two L shaped panels provide additional hanging space and can be moved within the gallery space
• plinths of varying dimensions are available for use for smaller works and ceramics.
Walker Street Gallery One Floor Plan (PDF - 38KB)
Specifications for Gallery Two:
• 15 linear metres of wall display space
• equipped with a wire based hanging system
• equipped with a basic track lighting system.
Services provided to Gallery hirers
Exhibitions commence on a Thursday and conclude on a Saturday.
• professional installation assistance
• curatorial advice
• after hours alarm protection and security
• invitations to the launch for Gallery One exhibition
• gallery staff to supervise the exhibition Tuesday to Friday 11am to 5pm
• support for launch (one per exhibition), including kitchen staff and use of glasses.
• listing in Art Almanac
• City of Greater Dandenong website, social media and other opportunities
• list of works or catalogue produced from information supplied by the exhibitor.
Services to be provided by Gallery hirers
Artists or organisations hiring Gallery One at Walker Street Gallery & Arts Centre will provide:
• food and drink for an exhibition launch
• a person to supervise the gallery on each Saturday of the exhibition from 11am to 3pm (or as agreed).
Commission on sales
A 25 per cent commission is charged on sales of artworks. The Gallery will maintain all records of sales and will provide a list of works sold at the conclusion of the exhibition.
To apply complete the application form provided below.
Proposals are due on or before Friday 13 October 2017
Enquiries should be directed to the Gallery on 03 9706 8441. All interested parties are encouraged to view the spaces before submitting their application.
The selection process is competitive. Please note that the submission of an application does not ensure a place in the exhibition program.
An Exhibition Committee will assess all applications. Applicants will be advised by email of the success or otherwise of their application by 3 November 2017.
Priority will be given to proposals that:
• promote innovation, diversity and quality in contemporary visual arts practice
• have local relevance (artist lives, works or studies within South Eastern Melbourne) OR whose exhibition demonstrates a connection to Greater Dandenong and/or its communities
• demonstrate a high level of technical ability and artistic competency
• present a coherent body of work or theme for exhibition
• present artworks of a high standard in a professional manner.
Hire Fees in 2018 Walker Street Gallery & Arts Centre
|Walker Street Gallery & Arts Centre Exhibitions (fee per space per week for commercial use)
||$ 250 pw
||$ 50 pw
|Exhibitions (fee per space per week for community group use)*
||$ 150 pw
||$ 30 pw
|Exhibitions (fee per space per week for community agency use)**
||$ 200 pw
||$ 40 pw
Please note the minimum hire period for exhibitions is 4 weeks.
Community group: Voluntary groups with minimal funding who provide local benefit.
Community agency: Not-for-profit organisations that receive funding and private use by local residents.
Commercial: For-profit businesses, private use by people outside municipality and events by organisations who charge an entry fee.