Mayor, Cr Youhorn Chea (Lightwood Ward)
Term as a Councillor: 1997 - present
Mayor in: 2001, 2007, 2012, 2018
Mobile: 0417 320 645
Phone: 9547 5745
Fax: 9547 3586
I have been a Councillor with the City of Greater Dandenong since 1997, when I was elected as the first Councillor for the Springvale Central Ward. I have lived in Greater Dandenong since fleeing the killing fields of Cambodia in 1982 and was the first Cambodian-born Mayor in Australia, and the first Asian Mayor in Greater Dandenong.
I have four adult children with my wife, Uchchara. I speak three languages, have a Bachelor of Civil Engineering and a Graduate Diploma of Arts in Human Services and have a long history of volunteer work in the areas of health and education. I have worked as a social worker with the Cambodian Association of Victoria and am currently the President of the organisation.
I have worked to assist families to escape the Pol Pot regime and survive the Thai refugee camps before arriving in Australia. I have survived refugee camps myself and have worked hard to build a life for my family. I hope I can inspire many refugees in our city to believe that they can achieve great things in their lives. Anything is possible if you believe.
I also believe it is important for the council to maintain a strong focus on facilities for young people, the creation of local jobs and increased community safety. I believe it is important to have a council that cares for residents and provides help for low-income earners and the elderly.
Committees, organisations and industry bodies Youhorn represents as a Councillor:
- CEO Performance Review Committee
- Family Violence Advisory Committee
- Greater Dandenong Interfaith Network
- Local Government's Metropolitan Waste Management Forum (Alternate Representative)
- Multicultural Advisory Committee
- Municipal Association of Victoria (Alternate Representative)
- Refugee and Asylum Seeker Communities Advisory Committee
- Springvale Benevolent Society
- Springvale Major Projects Advisory Group
- South East Community Links
- Springvale and District Historical Society
More information about the above committees, community organisations and peak industry bodies (PDF - 49.9KB)