Applying for a Planning Permit
Before you start your planning permit application, it is recommended that you discuss your proposal with Council's Planning department via the planning pre-application discussion service.
There are a number of important steps you need to follow when preparing a planning permit application;
- Consider getting professional advice. Planning assessment and decision-making are sophisticated processes that involve concepts such as respecting neighbourhood character, achieving good urban design outcomes, and protecting reasonable amenity.
- Talk to your neighbours to let them know what you are planning and to discuss any potential problems. Most people appreciate the opportunity to discuss plans prior the formal public notification process.
- Determine which planning permit application method your proposal is eligible for. If you are unsure or need assistance, please contact Council's Planning department on 8571 1000.
- Collect all the relevant information. To ensure that your application can be processed quickly and efficiently, it is essential that all the relevant information is included. Please refer to our planning information guides and checklists for guidelines on the specific information that is required for certain types of planning permit applications.
- As a minimum you must submit:
- A completed and signed application for a planning permit form
- Payment of the prescribed application fee - see the Planning fees and charges section. If you wish to pay by credit card, please submit your application and you will be sent an invoice which can be paid on Council's online payment portal MyGreaterDandenong.com
- A current certificate of title (dated within the last 90 days)
- Where applicable, a current Metropolitan Planning Levy (MPL) certificate. For information about the levy and the threshold for the current financial year, visit the State Revenue Office website www.sro.vic.gov.au
- One (1) set of all application documents and plans in hard copy (Note: Plans can be A3 size for small scale developments, but must be A1 or A2 size for large scale developments)
- An electronic copy of all application documents and plans on CD/DVD or USB flash drive
Please Note: Depending on the type of application and what is being proposed, other application requirements may apply. Incomplete applications cannot be accepted.
- Lodge a complete planning permit application with all relevant information:
- in person at the Planning service counter at the Greater Dandenong Civic Centre, Level 3, 225 Lonsdale Street, Dandenong
- by mail to Statutory Planning Department, City of Greater Dandenong, PO Box 200, Dandenong VIC 3175
- Subdivision applications can be lodged online via SPEAR by registered users.