Skip to Content

Asset Protection Permits

The purpose of the Asset Protection Permit (APP) is to ensure that public assets and infrastructure (eg footpaths, drains, roads, laneways etc) are kept safe, maintained in a serviceable condition and damages repaired at the completion of the building/demolition works. Under the APP the applicant shall be held liable for any damages caused by the building/demolition works.

Under Council's Local Law No. 2 Clause 23 - Building Works, a fine of up to $1250 may apply if you commence work without a valid Asset Protection Permit.

Pre-commencement Report

Prior to the commencement of works an inspection of the site must be undertaken and a Pre-Commencement Report completed (report template attached below).

Submission of the report is a mandatory / compulsory requirement. The APP application will not be processed if the report is not provided, and will result in the immediate cancellation of your application and forfeit of your application fees.

Please note – the applicant has the option to either undertake the inspection and complete the Pre-Commencement Report, or submit a request for Council to complete the inspection and report on your behalf (additional fee associated).

Costs associated with the Asset Protection Permit

Application Fees**:

Scope of works


Building / Construction




Pre-Commencement Report – Completed by Council



(required if permit is extended and/or re-issued)


Additional inspections



Security Bonds:

Property Type






To expedite the return of the security bond on completion of the works (including Council approval) please complete the attached Electronic Funds Transfer Form and submit with the APP application.

**The application fee is reviewed annually by Council and applies from 1 July to 30 June the next year.

Application forms required to be submitted

To apply for an Asset Protection Permit the following three (3) forms must be completed, including all required information, and submitted to Council for processing.  Please note, if any form is missing

Asset Protection Permit Application Form

Pre-commencement Report

Asset Protection Permit Deposit Refund Request


Submission of the Asset Protection Permit application forms

Applications can be submitted through the following methods:

Mail to:
City of Greater Dandenong
PO Box 200

Fax to:
(03) 8571 5196

In person:
Return completed form to any Council’s Customer Service Centres

For further information or enquiries please phone 8571 1000. 

Frequently Asked Questions

When is an Asset Protection Permit required?

An asset protection permit is required when undertaking construction, renovation, alteration, relocation etc:

  • building works where the cost exceeds $10,000
  • any building demolition works 
  • swimming pools, spas and water features where the cost exceeds $5000

What is an Asset Protection Pre-commencement Report?

The Pre-commencement Report is an assessment of the existing condition of Council infrastructure adjacent to the property where the works are proposed. The report clearly identifies any pre-existing damage on site, requiring the applicant to provide detailed written descriptions of the damage, accompanied with colour photographic evidence to confirm type and location.

The report protects the applicant against paying for damage that may be present on Council’s infrastructure and/or nature strip prior to starting the works. 

Why should I notify Council of any existing asset damage?

Notifying Council of existing damage will ensure you do not incur rectification / repair costs for defects not associated with your works.  The Pre-Commencement Report provides documented evidence of existing conditions, which Council can reference when undertaking the final inspection on completion of the works.

 What is security bond?

A security bond is required to cover any potential costs associated with damages to Council infrastructure as a direct result of your works.  

If you choose the option for Council to undertake the rectification works, the costs will be deducted from the bond and the remainder refunded to the applicant accordingly. If the rectification costs exceed the bond amount, Council will cover the excess and invoice you to recover the additional amount.

Is there an alternative to rectify damages?

The applicant may choose to carry out rectification works to Council’s standards and/or specifications provided this is arranged prior to commencing rectification.

How do I reclaim my security bond?

The process to return the security bond is initiated by requesting a final inspection of the completed works through the following:

  1. The final inspection can only occur if all of the conditions below are met:
    1. Footpath and vehicle crossing are free of building materials, debris, mud etc.
    2. Nature strip is levelled and grass seeded
    3. Temporary fencing/electricity supply pole is removed
    4. Bins and skips are cleared from the nature strip
    5. Hot water system is completely installed
    6. Certificate of Occupancy, Final Inspection Certificate or Statement of Completion (whichever is applicable), is submitted to Council via email to
  2. Book a final inspection via email to or by calling 8571 1000.  Allow 48 hours for an inspection to occur.

On completion of the inspection and if Council’s authorised officer is satisfied that:

  •  No damage has been caused; or
  •  Damage has been repaired to Council’s standards and/or specifications

A letter of release will be sent to the permit holder and the bond will be returned accordingly.


How long does it take to obtain a Permit?

The permit will be issued within 10 working days, subject to receipt of all required information.  The permitd is valid for the specified period, or 12 months from the date of issue, unless renewed or extended.

 How do I renew or extend my Permit?

Council will send you a Permit Expiry Letter advising that works should not continue without the valid Asset Protection Permit.  If your works need to be extended or renewed, you need to:

  • Send email to quoting your APP reference number and address
  • Pay applicable renewal fee via cash, cheque or credit card (phone 8571 1000 – Customer Service) and advise of receipt details
  • Council will then issue a renewal permit, via email or post (if email is not provided)

Note:  No new application forms are required to be submitted for renewal