Skip to Content

Register a Health Business or Prescribed Accommodation Service

Which business need to be registered at Council?

Under the Health and Wellbeing Act

Under Residential Tenancies Act

Prescribed accommodation

  • Hairdressers
  • Ear piercing
  • Body piercing
  • Tattooists
  • Beauty treatment
  • Electrolysis
  • Caravan park
  • Hotel/motel
  • Hostel
  • Student sormitory
  • Holiday camp
  • Residential accommodation
  • Rooming house

Businesses being registered under the Health and Wellbeing Act need to obtain a copy of the relevant health guidelines from Council.

Accommodation-related businesses need to refer to the Health (Prescribed Accommodation) Regulations 1990 for information on issues such as maintenance, capacity limits, cleanliness and hygiene facilities required.

Applying for a permit

An Application for the Approval of Plans for Proposed Premises form (Word - 256KB) needs to be submitted with two copies of the floor plan, indicating the layout and fit out details.

Work can only commence once you have received a copy of the stamped plans and letter of approval from Council. Council Environmental Health Officer will inspect the premises during the fit-out.

Prior to the opening of the business, Council must complete a final inspection to give approval for open and trade.



For the financial year 2017-2018 the fee for a new Class 1 or Class 2 fixed food premises is $1050.00 (GST exempt) and for a new Class 3 fixed food premises is $450.00 (GST exempt).