Together, we can make a difference
The City of Greater Dandenong is working with over 60 other councils and community groups across Australia in the Alliance for Gambling Reform.
We’re advocating for tougher laws that make poker machines less addictive, and less dangerous.
We’re also advocating for changes in Victorian law that would give communities a real say over poker machines in Dandenong.
Alliance for Gambling Reform
Greater Dandenong Council has joined with other Victorian councils, the Salvation Army, Brotherhood of St. Laurence, Inter-Church Taskforce on Gambling and respected gambling reformer Tim Costello to become a member of the Alliance for Gambling Reform.
The Alliance is a national organisation where councils, community groups and residents have united to advocate for gambling reform. Thousands of Australians have joined the Alliance, making it a powerful force for change.
Reforms sought by the Alliance include:
- Changes to the design of pokies to make them less deceptive and addictive.
- Cessation of donations by the gambling industry to state and federal politicians.
- A reduction in the dependency of AFL clubs on pokies as a source of revenue.
- Prohibition of sports betting advertising on television during G-rated viewing times.
- $1 maximum bets, coupled with a maximum limit upon pokies losses of $120 per hour.
- Wider role for councils and local communities in deciding gambling applications.
What you can do
It’s easy to be a part of the solution.
1. JOIN THE ALLIANCE
We’ll keep you informed and provide you with simple ways to support the campaign
2. GET CAMPAIGN TOOLS
Download posters and flyers to share with your friends, family, community group or workplace.
3. WATCH “KA-CHING: POKIE NATION”
This powerful, informative documentary can be viewed online.
City of Greater Dandenong's Electronic Gambling Policy
City of Greater Dandenong's Electronic Gaming Policy seeks to inform residents about the effects of gambling, and advocate for reforms to reduce its impact upon the community.
The policy includes the following components:
- Research about the effects of gambling, and monitoring of local trends
- Publicity to raise awareness of the issue and of sources of support
- Advocacy for reforms to the regulation of gambling
- Principles to guide Council’s responses to applications for gambling venues or machines.
Download Greater Dandenong Gambling Policy