Greater Dandenong and the Chinese city of Xuzhou established a Sister City relationship in 1996.
Xuzhou is situated north-west China in the Jiangsu Province and covers an area of 11,258km2 with a population in excess of 8.6 million people.
Xuzhou is a famous historical city with a brilliant civilisation dating back 5000 years, and includes the Han dynasty.
In July 2002, a representative from each of the cities signed a Memorandum of Understanding, which established a formal agreement to develop trade opportunities.
The Memorandum of Understanding was an important addition to the relationship, cementing the commitment of both parties to ensure positive and tangible outcomes. Both understand however, that a Sister City relationship takes time to establish and involves ongoing review and negotiation.
The broad aims of Sister City relationships include:
- fostering peace and goodwill between cities
- promoting understanding of culture through education, exchange and community programs
- developing economic opportunities for local business
- sharing ideas and technology
The relationship between Greater Dandenong and Xuzhou has to date been considered a successful one, with a number of visiting delegations and business meetings taking place.
Positive alliances have also been established between a number of schools, including the exchange of books, artwork and educational materials.
The following schools in Greater Dandenong have established relationships with schools in Xuzhou:
- Wallarano Primary School & Minzulu
- Coomoora Secondary Collage & Xuzhou No. 3
- No.3 Springvale Primary School & Xuzhou Arts School
- Arts School Maralinga Primary School & Jinshinqaun
- Noble Park English Language School & Xingi Middle School
- Springvale Secondary College & Xuzhou No.1 Middle School
- Maralinga Primary School & Jinshinqaun