Hemmings Street Shopping Centre Streetscape Improvements
Council has recently undertaken a concept design and community consultation process for the Hemmings Street Neighbourhood Shopping Centre in Dandenong West. The aim of the project was to seek community feedback and ideas on how to improve the overall amenity and appearance of this shopping strip.
In order to promote the project and start the discussion, three options were prepared by Council’s consultants and then tested with the community and traders in July 2018.
A summary of what was included for consideration is listed below:
All the options proposed:
- New pavement along the northern side of Hemmings Street between Jones Road and Purdy Street
- A raised pavement at Wilma Avenue intersection to improve safety and amenity of the pedestrian crossing
- New seating and planting at Jones Road, Wilma Avenue and Purdy Avenue corners
- More trees in the Council carpark
- More seats along kerbs for socializing
Each option indicated the changes to car parking arrangements and the potential amount of landscaping.
Community response to the survey and feedback on the options was as follows:
Overall the survey was completed by 142 respondents and the total votes were:
- 45 votes for Option 1
- 41 votes for Option 2
- 56 votes for Option 3
You can view the full options here
View the original options
The feedback identified that:
- There is strong support to green the streetscape and make it a more pleasant place to visit and shop.
- Option 1 was generally preferred by people who were most concerned about the loss of car parking. This included both the traders and shoppers.
- Option 2 was generally preferred by people who were interested in a balance between the loss of a few car parking spaces and more landscaping.
- Option 3 was generally preferred by people who were interested in creating a village feel streetscape with more landscaping.
- A number of respondents also commented on the management of anti-social issues behaviour within the precinct.
Final concept design
In recognition that there was no absolute preference for any one option over the others, a preferred design has been prepared that includes elements from the three options presented.
The final concept design has been enhanced to include a number of other opportunities and ideas raised by the community throughout the design process. The additional elements include the following:
- provision of a new public toilet
- a small pocket park on the south side of Hemmings Street to provide a public space and landscaping opportunities without the loss of shopfront car parking
- re-alignment of the off-street car parking to ensure that there was no net car park loss
- provision for safer pedestrian crossing and movement in and around the shopping centre.
The final concept design will provide the basis for a funding application for Council’s 2019-20 City Improvement Program. If funding is secured it is anticipated that the project would be delivered in two stages.
The first stage (2019-20) will focus on the detailed design and construction of the Hemmings Street streetscape upgrade between Jones Road and Purdy Street.
The second stage will be subject to further funding being secured in (2020-21) and would then deliver the detailed design and landscaping at the Council car park including the new public toilet and small pocket park.
For further information about the project contact: